1896 - E. H. C. Michahelles establishes his first merchant house in Hamburg. This was the beginning of the company we today know as MILES. Although the company only began trading in textiles some time later, to this day there is a connection between the original company and MILES: the first two and last three letters of founder Michahelles’ surname spell MILES.
1957 - MILES commences international trade in bulk textiles by the metre. It only takes another three years before MILES begins to import ready-made products from Japan. A network of international branches, offices and agents is established, showing continued growth.
1994 - The company relocates its headquarters from inner-city Hamburg to Norderstedt, moving into a large and highly modern administrative and logistics centre.
In November 2008, the company MILES is acquired by the Li & Fung Group, another step toward growth. MILES now has access to an expanded global network.
In 2010, MILES takes over textile company HEUSEL, an established company specialising in high-quality children’s wear. This allows MILES to add another important pillar to its portfolio.
Overview of History
1896 E. H. C. Michahelles & Co. is established
1952 Reactivated as “MILES Im- und Export GmbH”
1957 Commencement of trade in bulk textiles by the metre
1965 MILES Hong Kong Ltd. is established
1970 Office opened in Seoul, Korea
1984 Office opened in the USA
1988 Alster International Trading Company Pte. Ltd., Singapore, is established
1990 onwards Cooperation agreements entered into with contract manufacturers in Turkey, Portugal, Italy and Lithuania
1991 Office opened in Jakarta, Indonesia; MILES Jefferson Ltd. (UK) established
1992 Office opened in Colombo, Sri Lanka
1993 Office opened in Dhaka, Bangladesh
1994 Office opened in Karachi, Pakistan; Headquarters moved to Norderstedt (near Hamburg)
2002 Hardline articles added as a focus of the portfolio
2008 Acquisition by Li & Fung Group
2010 Takeover of textile company HEUSEL Textilhandelsgesellschaft mbH, Selm